Freezer Cooking Day!

Monday, November 30, 2009

I had my first freezer cooking day in the new house yesterday and it went pretty smooth aside from the part where I had to run to the store for more tortillas, peanut butter and brown sugar!

Here's the room where I spent my entire day (or at least what felt like it...)





I spent about 6 hours cooking; the first 4 flew by, but a couple friends briefly stopped by and it was about that time I started running out of steam (and my feet were starting to hurt), but I managed to get everything done that I planned on doing plus 1 extra meal - here's what I made:

2 dinners worth w/ leftovers for lunch of homemade Macaroni & Cheese
2 dinners worth Chicken Tetrazinni
25 breakfast burritos (egg, hash browns, little bit of bacon pieces, and shredded leftover turkey)
8 dinners worth of mashed potatoes
homemade Bacon Ranch Pasta salad (ended up eating some for dinner)
homemade maple syrup
cookies
cinnamon rolls
big batch of Granola Bars
2 dinners worth of Southwest Roll-ups



I have had many baking days before, but this one officially wiped me out! This has been the largest of them all by far, but I will most likely continue to have these big cooking days if it continues to save time during the month.

I was doing really well with washing all the dishes as I used them, but somewhere near the end things started getting too hectic and I ended up with a pretty big pile of dishes to take care of (I forgot to take a picture before I cleaned up). I already knew this was hard work, but too much time must have gone by since the last one because this one felt like running a marathon!

Have you tried batch cooking? What were your experiences?

4 comments:

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I have never tried to freeze a pasta salad, have you actually done this before? Does it thaw well? Sounds like a good recipe and I am getting ready to do a freezer day for my daughter that just had a baby.

Amanda said...

Our pasta salad didn't last long enough to make it to the freezer this time! I haven't tried freezing it yet, but I have heard that mayonnaise seperates after it has been frozen.

Next time I make this though, I plan to take a portion size and freeze it for a few days and then see how the intregity of the salad holds up. Since this dish is served cold, I am not as concerned about the pasta turning into mush as I am with the mayo soaking in and leaving only oil behind.

I will be sure to let you know how it turns out!

KD said...

Can you post the link for the granola bars?
thanks!

Post a Comment

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes