Closet Storage Solution for under $30!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Have you ever lived somewhere that had lots of built-in shelves and storage space? We did, at the last apartment we had, there was an abundance of shelving. It was such a nice thing to have, but when we moved into our house and didn't have it anymore, getting organized was a struggle.

Our new home has plenty of closet space, but only 1 shelf in each that is pretty high up. Lots of stuff ended up getting piled up on the floors of the closets and I couldn't find anything in there.

I love doing hands on type of projects and I figured "how hard could it be to build some shelves?" So I pulled everything out of the closet in the office and started to think I was way over my head...



Next I somehow managed to get to the closet in the back of the room, took some measurements, and headed off to the hardware store. I had 2 big sheets of plywood cut to fit the measurements I needed, bought the primer, paint and brackets and headed home.

Once we had all the unpainted shelving in place, I sanded the edges, primed the boards and painted them the same color as the rest of the closet.



(We built the shelves like this, so if we decide to take them out later we won't have a bunch of holes in the walls.)

Now, I just had to put everything where it goes. I found the storage bins in the Dollar Spot at Target and the clear plastic drawers are lined inside with pieces of scrapbook paper.



Finally, this wouldn't be complete without showing you how our office ended up looking!



Hers



His
(The desks were found at Target as well for $40 on clearance, we could have found them for less elsewhere but we were looking for something that can double as a work table for our various hobbies)

The total cost for the shelving materials was around $30. Total cost for the room was just over $100. It was money well spent for a room that we spend a lot of time in and need it to be as functional as possible.

Do you enjoy DIY projects? I'd love to hear some of your stories!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes